The establishment of Chuka University was foretold way back in 1951 by a famous philanthropist and seer by the name Jerusha Kanyua , who said that a mountain would come up at Ndagani. The seer was known for her passion for education even though she never went to any formal school. Surprising to the people of the time, Jerusha could follow Bible verses and sing from hymn books though she was illiterate.
The advice she had for the young people then was that a pen should be like a spear and a book should be like a shield. With the establishment of Chuka University at Ndagani 58 years later, the vision of Jerusha has been fulfilled.
Chuka University is a public institution established through a legal notice No. 161 of 2007. It was a constituent College of Egerton University and the successor of the former Egerton University Eastern Campus College, Chuka.The Campus College was established on 27th September 2004, by Egerton University Council to enhance access to high quality and affordable University education to the people living in the Eastern region and Kenya at large.
This endeavour was fast-tracked by the donation of 550 acres of land and other facilities essential for current and future expansion of the institution by the local community. This included all the land and facilities formerly owned by Chuka Polytechnicwhich was founded in 1956.
His Excellency President Mwai Kibaki appointed the first Council of the University on 12th September 2008. A prominent businessman and renowned leader, Eng. Wilfred Murungi was appointed the first Chairman of Chuka University Council.